Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Snuggling?

Okay, I have to tell you a story.  Because every time I think of it I laugh out loud.  Last night the kids and I were watching old episodes of Family Feud.  One of the questions was "What is something that once you learn it, you never forget how to do?"  You know... things like riding a bike.  Well one of the contestants threw out the possible answer of "making love".  First of all..what?  That's your answer?  Whatever.  But you know what?  It was actually there.  Well, it prompted Jack to tell me a story from last year's 6th grade Minnesota State History class.  Apparently, according to Jack, in the old Minnesota History textbooks, there is some information about Native Americans.  And apparently, according to Jack, these old textbooks felt the need to let 6th graders know that when it was summer and the people were bored they would often pass the time by making love.  Again....what?  But what was funny to me and what still makes me laugh out loud, is that Jack's teacher had the class cross out the words making love and write in the word snuggling.  First of all, I'm not sure why we had to know that piece of Native American history here in the state of Minnesota, or at least why 6th graders needed to know that.  Second of all, let's draw all the 6th graders' attention specifically to this piece of information, tell them to cross it out, and replace it with....snuggling?  I can only imagine what 6th grade boys thought about that.  Happy snuggling everyone.  Especially when you're bored.